A little blog about magic theory, a new subject will be posted each week. Please feel free to post new subjects.
Also please comment on the subjects.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
New Decks
Sorry about not changing the subject for so long. Please feel free to post subjects on your own. Okay now onto the new subject, if you get a new deck how do you learn to unlock its stratagy. Also when editing it how do you keep or tweak the stratagy.
Well, whenever I get/try out a new deck, I first look at all the cards, and see if there is some kind of obvious strategy, like if there are cards such as Rampant Growth or Elvish Pioneer, you can tell that that deck probably relies on getting a lot of lands out and maybe playing a huge creature or a swarm of little creatures. However, you can't be a pro with any deck on the first try. Playing games against different decks will allow you to figure out key properties of your deck: what kind of deck your deck is good/weak against, whether you should go first or second with that deck, what cards in your deck are good/bad, etc. (Whew! this is a long post, sorry!) ... If your going to edit your new deck (and you will probably always edit your new deck), look for cards that will work better with that deck than other cards that don't seem to make sense. also, I try to change deck to suit my own playing style. For example, if I buy a shiny new blue deck that requires a lot of bluffing (which I am NOT good at!), first, I slap myself in the face for buying a blue deck, then I try to see If I can't tweak it, so I only have to bluff a little bit. Well, I guess that's it for now! I'll post again if I have something else to say.
1 comment:
Well, whenever I get/try out a new deck, I first look at all the cards, and see if there is some kind of obvious strategy, like if there are cards such as Rampant Growth or Elvish Pioneer, you can tell that that deck probably relies on getting a lot of lands out and maybe playing a huge creature or a swarm of little creatures. However, you can't be a pro with any deck on the first try. Playing games against different decks will allow you to figure out key properties of your deck: what kind of deck your deck is good/weak against, whether you should go first or second with that deck, what cards in your deck are good/bad, etc. (Whew! this is a long post, sorry!) ... If your going to edit your new deck (and you will probably always edit your new deck), look for cards that will work better with that deck than other cards that don't seem to make sense. also, I try to change deck to suit my own playing style. For example, if I buy a shiny new blue deck that requires a lot of bluffing (which I am NOT good at!), first, I slap myself in the face for buying a blue deck, then I try to see If I can't tweak it, so I only have to bluff a little bit. Well, I guess that's it for now! I'll post again if I have something else to say.
-Jared
Post a Comment